Hitchman Memorial Fountain, Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1974

Description:

A black and white photograph by John Wright, 1974, of the Hitchman Memorial Fountain in the Jephson Gardens.

The Hitchman Fountain was built in 1869 to commemorate the life of Dr John Hitchman (1805-1867), who encouraged the use of Leamington's spa waters for medicinal purposes. Hitchman moved to Leamington in 1840 where he practised as a doctor. He was friends with Dr Amos Middleton and Dr Henry Jephson, who also promoted the use of Leamington's waters.

300mm x 377mm

© John Wright Photograph


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1850s
Victoria Bridge and the Royal Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa
Victoria Bridge and the Royal Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa

A framed colour engraving, by Radclyffe, of a view of Leamington Spa with Victoria ...

1880s
Royal Pump Rooms and Lower Parade, Leamington Spa
Royal Pump Rooms and Lower Parade, Leamington Spa

A colour tinted photograph of the Royal Pump Rooms and Lower Parade, Leamington ...

1970s
Royal Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa
Royal Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa

A black and white photograph by John Wright, 1974. It depicts a view with the Royal ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:LEAMG : M3322.1976.62 (72/22810)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.