Hitchman Fountain, Leamington Spa

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:Not Recorded

Description:

A postcard by Valentine & Sons of the Hitchman Fountain in the the Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa (No.213282).

The Hitchman Fountain was built in 1869 to commemorate the life of Dr John Hitchman (1805-1867), who encouraged the use of Leamington's spa waters for medicinal purposes. Hitchman moved to Leamington in 1840 where he practised as a doctor. He was friends with Dr Amos Middleton and Dr Henry Jephson, who also promoted the use of Leamington's waters.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1820s
Strawberry Cottage, Leamington Spa
Strawberry Cottage, Leamington Spa

Print Strawberry Cottage By Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789 - 1850) based on a drawing ...

1930s
Lodge Entrance to the Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa
Lodge Entrance to the Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa

Black and white photograph by Walden Hammond c.1930s. An aerial view of the Lodge ...

1950s
Lights of Leamington, Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa
Lights of Leamington, Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa

Black and white photograph of a night scene during the Lights of Leamington in the ...

1970s
Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa
Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa

Black and white photograph. This photograph depicts three children sitting on the ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:LEAMG : M2061.1958.14 (69/18469)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.