Clemens Street Independent Chapel, Leamington Spa

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1816 - 1844 (c.)

Description:

Print

By Day & Haghe

Independent Chapel Leamington

c.1816 - 1844

Ink on paper

103mm x 170mm

View of the Independent Chapel on Clemens Street, Leamington Spa. Figures are gathered around the entrance. The Independent Chapel was the first dissenting chapel in Leamington. It was opened in 1816 under the name of the Union Chapel. The chapel was home to many different religious groups who eventually separated further and moved out to found their own chapels. In 1836 the Congregationalists were the last to leave, founding a bigger chapel in Spencer Street. The Union Chapel was sold and in 1848 became a theatre. In 1866, however, it was reopened as the Congregational Free Chapel and remained so until 1902. Since then it has been used as a corn store (1902-1920) a manufactory for carburettors (Zephyr Carburettor Co, 1920-1929) and a manufactory for hydraulic breaks (Lockheed, 1929-1973). Today it is home to two shops, although the portico which can be seen in this picture no longer exists.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:LEAMG : M1311.1938 (69/18402)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.