Warwick Castle, Conservatory and Vase

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:9th of July 2002

Description:A view of the interior of the conservatory at Warwick Castle, featuring a replica of the huge Warwick Vase (the Roman original is in the Burrell Collection).

Though initially built to house the vase in 1746 by a local mason, William Eborall, the conservatory has since been converted into a glasshouse for exotic plants.

The original vase was excavated around 1769 from the villa of the Roman Emperor Hadrian. It was purchased a few years later by Charles Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick, from William Hamilton, who had been trying in vain to sell it to the British Museum.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:12 (22/10178)

Source: Libraries, Heritage & Trading Standards

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.