Rugby School. House party at Coton House

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:House party at Coton House, the home of Mr and Mrs Arthur James, held on 3rd July 1909, after King Edward VII had opened the Temple Speech Room at Rugby School. Back Row: Colonel Streatfeild; Lord Leicester; Lady Norreys; The Earl of Durham, K.G. Middle Row: Mr John Baird C.M.G.; Mrs W. James; Lady Savile; The Duke of Richmond and Gordon, K.G.; Mrs Arthur James, Mr Whitelaw Reid; Mr J. Lowther; Mr Arthur James; Front Row: Mrs G. Keppel; Mrs Whitelaw Reid; H.M. King Edward VII; Lady Leicester


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Rugby School.  Pupils about to play rugby football
Rugby School. Pupils about to play rugby football

A crowd of pupils presumably about to play rugby football at Rugby School. 1850s...

Rugby.  James Gilbert
Rugby. James Gilbert

James Gilbert, verger to Rugby School and bootmaker and maker of footballs, Rugby. ...

Rugby.  Cricket on the Close
Rugby. Cricket on the Close

Spectators at Rugby School Close where a cricket match was being held. 1903

Rugby.  Lawrence Sheriff Street
Rugby. Lawrence Sheriff Street

Lawrence Sheriff Street's junction with High Street, Rugby. 1927

Rugby.  Lawrence Sheriff Almshouses
Rugby. Lawrence Sheriff Almshouses

The Lawrence Sheriff Almshouses, Rugby. 1950s


Donor ref:RUG, T373.042, img: 6033 (3/5475)

Source: Heritage and Culture Warwickshire, Warwickshire County Council

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.