Leamington College for Girls Beret

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1949 - 1951 (c.)

Description:This royal blue felt beret was worn by Anne Barker when she was a student at Leamington College for Girls between 1949 and 1951. This style of hat was introduced to the school in 1947 and a poem was written about it called 'Ode to the New School Hats', by Betty Farr. The hat was donated to Leamington Spa Museum and Art Gallery by Mary Hunt, who was deputy head and later headmistress of Leamington College for Girls from 1946 to 1972.

The college was established in 1902 at Avenue Road, Leamington Spa. It was later housed at premises on Myton Road between 1956 and 1959 and Cloister Way from 1959 until its closure in 1977.

Share:


Donor ref:LEAMG : M4383.1996.3 (70/20176)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.