Griff House, exterior.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1960 (c.)

Description:Griff House, exterior.

Mary Ann's home between 1820-41, the family moved here when she was 4 or 5 months old. She referred to it as " old, old home" (Gordon Haight's George Eliot's Letters, Volume 3, p.224). She recalled memories of her time at Griff House and the surrounding area in her work. Griff House is still standing but is now a pub.

George Eliot (born Mary Ann Evans) was a local authoress based in the Coventry and Nuneaton district, from 1819-1880.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:Nun. Lib. 80 (49/11378)

Source: Nuneaton Library, Libraries, Heritage & Trading Standards, Warwickshire County Council

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.