The Gower Memorial - plaque

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:10th of October 1888

Description:Gower donated his memorial to the town of Stratford-upon-Avon. The monument was moved to its present site on the Bancroft Gardens with the building of the existing Royal Shakespeare Theatre in 1933.

The sculptor's interpretation of how the poet looked was influenced by the Holy Trinity Church memorial bust and by the Kesselstadt Death Mask, purportedly cast from Shakespeare's face.

Designed by Lord Ronald Sutherland Gower (1845-1916). Made c. 1888.

This inscription refers to figures of Prince Hal, Lady Macbeth, Hamlet and Falstaff, each of which is sited at a corner of the memorial and which represent History, Tragedy, Philosophy and Comedy.

Location: Bancroft Gardens, Waterside, Stratford-upon-Avon

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:not applicable (16/10003)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.