Shakespeare Gallery Alto Relievo Sculpture

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1788 - 1789 (c.)

Description:This sculpture was originally designed for the facade above the doorway of the Shakespeare Gallery established by John and Josiah Boydell in 1789. The former Shakespeare Gallery building at Pall Mall in London was demolished in 1869 and Banks' sculpture was removed and taken to the Great Garden, near the site of Shakespeare's now demolished house at New Place in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Sculpted c. 1789, by Thomas Banks R.A. (1735-1805)

Shakespeare is shown seated between the Muses of Poetry (left) and Painting.

Location: Great Garden of New Place, Chapel Lane, Stratford-upon-Avon

Source: The Story of Stratford's Alto Relievo in the Great Garden of New Place by Moira Benton and Cliff Narbett 1992 in Records Office ref DR 773

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:not applicable (16/10000)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.